Join the Community
and take part in the story

OpenIO @ Galvanize Hackathon (1 day implementation using OpenIO)

Hey OpenIO Community!

My name is Kevin Morris. Last year, I signed up for a hackathon at Galvanize that had multiple API options available to use with the project. I had no team, so I just coded up something by myself. I looked through OpenIO’s documentation and ran my own OpenIO virtual machine for a “local” object storage cluster. I then used OpenIO’s object storage to store JSON data related to a given post. This website was basically a social network for sharing code, and in these posts, the code would be executed and the output shown. The JSON data stored related to these posts were the source code of a given execution and it’s corresponding output.

The OpenIO Python SDK was extremely easy to use which was a huge + for this one day project. Unfortunately there are some hardcoded details about connecting to my local OpenIO server; this did not matter to me since this was only a “demo” purpose project. I decided to use OpenIO at this hackathon because it seemed to me to provide the most robust utility for any of the APIs there, and I wanted to explore with it a bit.

Note: This project does not fully demonstrate the potential power of OpenIO. This project is meant to demonstrate simple blob storage via OpenIO. Since blobs in this project are not necessarily any sort of fixed size, it is much more convenient to store arbitrary sized blobs in OpenIO’s database instead of forcing a TEXT or CHAR field in SQL. This also takes away the need for the local “info” database on the website needing to process any of these blobs for table lookups and such. Potentially, if blobs stored in this system were large, OpenIO would provide a fantastic scale factor for blob storage, and it’s clustered nature would decrease bottleneck dependencies.

To put time into perspective: I could use the openio Python SDK within minutes of looking at the documentation, and it took me less than an hour to learn how to run my own OpenIO powered cluster on a machine. This was such a painless process

You can see the code located at Most of OpenIO’s API usage is located in ./codebook/lib/

Disclaimer: All of this code is completely free to view and/or use in your own projects. Do NOT use this project in production, as code is naively run on the host computer. I would recommend running restricted docker containers for something like this.

Hey @kevr!

Thanks a lot for the awesome work you did in only one day.

Just figured out that I have still a couple of pictures from this hackathon and your presentation.

By the way, I remember also that the look and feel of your pastebin like based on OpenIO was really nice. Would you mind sharing some screenshots of it?

Thanks @kevr :+1:

Hey there! Thanks for the response – yeah, that was really fun! Unfortunately, I don’t have any screenshots saved, however i could probably just setup another instance of the project, since its saved on github, and take some screenshots sometime soon :slight_smile:

Rock on @Guillaume!

That could be awesome @kevr if you can provide some screenshots!

Even if it was a quick dev, I remember that the look and feel was really nice!